Today is Wednesday. Therefore, we went on a fieldtrip. I seriously feel like I'm in second grade every time I tell someone I'm going on a "fieldtrip." Nonetheless, I actually looked forward to today. We went to Oxford.
I'm kind of a nerd, so I couldn't wait to see the famous school. We all piled in the bus at 7:45 this morning and made our way to Oxford, an hour and a half away. Once we got there, we immediately had a tour of Oxford from Trudy, our trusty tour guide. Here is a Harry Potter reference: She sounds like Moaning Myrtle. Seriously. Ok, back to the tour. We walked all over the grounds, saw the famous library and even had the chance to see inside a dining hall. But the chapel was by far my favorite. Such incredible architecture. So beautiful. Everything is so proper and ancient. By ancient, I mean actually 800 years old.
When we were by the entrance to the campus our tour guide stopped and made us all gather around this spot on the ground. After we all stared at her for a good minute, she decided to tell us what were were looking at.
After we all gawked at the tiny little lightening bolt in the middle of the sidewalk, I mean, "pavement," they gave us four hours of free time. Again, I'm dead serious. We walked straight to the Oxford bookshop were we all purchased striped rugby shirts with the Oxford crest and crew neck sweatshirts, again, with the Oxford crest. And, of course, we all immediately put them on...while we were still in the store. Walking around with our matching sweatshirts, we looked like the PTA board for Oxford. We all had a serious flash forward about 15 years. Scary.
Oxford is a cool city, but it isn't that big. So, what did we do after we bought our super cool sweatshirts? We went and sat in a pub. But not just any pub. We went to The Eagle and Child. This is the pub were J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis sat everyday to drink, eat, and debate. I loved every second. I think I was a little more excited than the rest of my party, but, again, I'm kind of a nerd with those things. I also took a picture of a note they wrote on the wall. Priceless.
We are now back in our flat and attempting to make chili. Rachel is hitting the can with our broken can-opener. It looks like someone with metal teeth has been gnawing on the edge. I'm trying to find Mamma Mia online so we can all watch a movie tonight.
Hope we can open up that chili. It is all the food left in the flat. We should probably go to the store tomorrow.
Love.
I'm kind of a nerd, so I couldn't wait to see the famous school. We all piled in the bus at 7:45 this morning and made our way to Oxford, an hour and a half away. Once we got there, we immediately had a tour of Oxford from Trudy, our trusty tour guide. Here is a Harry Potter reference: She sounds like Moaning Myrtle. Seriously. Ok, back to the tour. We walked all over the grounds, saw the famous library and even had the chance to see inside a dining hall. But the chapel was by far my favorite. Such incredible architecture. So beautiful. Everything is so proper and ancient. By ancient, I mean actually 800 years old.
When we were by the entrance to the campus our tour guide stopped and made us all gather around this spot on the ground. After we all stared at her for a good minute, she decided to tell us what were were looking at.
Trudy: Well, as you all can see, there is a carving in the ground. Now, you all may or may not know that the first Harry Potter was filmed all over Oxford and a majority of it was right here in this square. Daniel Radcliffe wanted to leave his mark so he carved this lightening blot into the ground right here.Everyone then started to paid attention and crowded around it to get a better look. Yes, I was right at the front of that group. And yes, I got a great picture. Again, sorry for all the Harry Potter references, but we are in the UK. He is a national hero. I'm dead serious.
After we all gawked at the tiny little lightening bolt in the middle of the sidewalk, I mean, "pavement," they gave us four hours of free time. Again, I'm dead serious. We walked straight to the Oxford bookshop were we all purchased striped rugby shirts with the Oxford crest and crew neck sweatshirts, again, with the Oxford crest. And, of course, we all immediately put them on...while we were still in the store. Walking around with our matching sweatshirts, we looked like the PTA board for Oxford. We all had a serious flash forward about 15 years. Scary.
Oxford is a cool city, but it isn't that big. So, what did we do after we bought our super cool sweatshirts? We went and sat in a pub. But not just any pub. We went to The Eagle and Child. This is the pub were J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis sat everyday to drink, eat, and debate. I loved every second. I think I was a little more excited than the rest of my party, but, again, I'm kind of a nerd with those things. I also took a picture of a note they wrote on the wall. Priceless.
We are now back in our flat and attempting to make chili. Rachel is hitting the can with our broken can-opener. It looks like someone with metal teeth has been gnawing on the edge. I'm trying to find Mamma Mia online so we can all watch a movie tonight.
Hope we can open up that chili. It is all the food left in the flat. We should probably go to the store tomorrow.
Love.
No comments:
Post a Comment