Saturday, January 10, 2009

3 bags, 2 flights, and 1 long day

In case you haven't heard, I made it alive. However, that isn't to say it wasn't without a few challenges. I'll take you through the day.

(For clarification purposes, my thoughts are in italics)

I arrived with plenty of time at the airport in KC, check both my bags, ate some Quiznos and made it through security. I sat down to wait for boarding and ended up across from a French guy. He looked a little bewildered at our meek airport and so I smiled. He then starts talking in French. Haha, excuse me? Too bad I took Spanish. I just smiled back. The flight attendant starts to board the passengers. Everyone starts to frantically gather their bags. Relax people, it is going to take her ten minutes to even open the door. I patiently waited in line and handed her my passport. I said hello and asked how her day was going. No response.
Flight Attendant: Your carry on is too big.
Me: Oh, I'm sorry. I measured it at check-in and it fit the specifications.
Flight Attendant: Well, you can't take it.
Me: Ok, lady. I was being nice, but seriously, I'm taking this bag on the plane. Ok. What can I do?
Flight Attendant: You have to check it.
Me: Ok. Can you check it all the way to London?
Flight Attendant: Yes. You know this is going to be really expensive.
Me: Yeah, because you are rude and won't let me take my bag with me. Do I have a choice?
Flight Attendant: No.
Large, Middle-aged, Balding Man Behind Me: Haha. I can't believe you thought you could take that. Haha. It's huge.
Me: Ha. Yeah. Thanks jerk. I just left my home for four months and the last thing I want is to check this bag.
Flight Attendant: (Hands me my receipt)
Me: Thank you. Have a nice day
Flight Attendant: (No response)
Other than that, the flight to Chicago went well. I sat next to a nice lady from Germany. Once in Chicago, I waited for 6 hours for my next flight. Everything was great. I met some fun people, had McDonalds, and read my book. 30 minutes before boarding I took two Dramamine. GOOD NIGHT! I could barely keep my eyes open when I sat down in my seat (37C, there were 39 rows total). However, I seemed to be the only one wanting to sleep. I found myself in the middle of all the Truman State and Missouri State students, which would be fine, except I think they all injected themselves with caffeine before they boarded. One girl was so excited she sang "We are going to London! O-M-G!" Don't worry, in case you were deaf and couldn't hear her singing, she spelled out O-M-G.

After the flight, we went through customs without any problems. We then loaded all our luggage onto a bus and headed towards the residence. Let me just say this, the actual flat did not exceed our expectations. I think our floor is slanted at a 40 decree angle. Oh well, it is better than nothing. At least, I won't want to hang out in the flat.

Other than that, I absolutely love London. The people are so great, minus that they think we are funny cause we are Americans. Tomorrow we get a tour of London and get to explore! I can't wait to learn more about it.

Love.



2 comments:

maracavallaro said...

you SO WOULD say "I weighed it and it met the SPECIFICATIONS". I can just see it. You. Being there. All saying that and stuff.

I'm adding checking this blog to my nighttime ritual. Which should sufficiently tell you how much I love you.

Anonymous said...

Hi Libby! Glad you made it safely. Fortunately, there were no amazing race stories :o) Enjoy the tour of London!! Love you a bunch.