Sunday, January 18, 2009

Holiday Inn on Carburton St.

My roommate Rachel and I tried to go to church this morning. I have been emailing Brock and Bodie Thoene (2 of my favorite authors) about the church they attend while here in London. They then directed me to the pastor Ron Anderson who gave me directions to where the congregation is meeting. They usually meet in St. Mark's Church, but the government is attempting to seize the historic building to turn it into a museum or gallery or something. So, until that is figured out, they are all meeting in the Holiday Inn on Carburton Street near Regent's Park. I found the location of the Holiday Inn on Google maps and figured out what tube station I needed.

So Rachel and I got up early and rode to Great Portland Street station. Now, if you know anything about me, you know that I am fairly decent with directions. I usually know where I am going and if I am unsure I make sure I have looked at a map and understand how to get to my destination. So, as usual, I had looked at the map and knew where I needed to go. We stepped out of the tube station and all of a sudden nothing looked like the map I had studied.

Google maps told me there was one main street, I saw three. It also told me there would be a street to my right that I would go straight dowm, no such street existed. Also, if anyone has been to London before they know that street signs are not a huge priority. Only about 50% of streets have them and the ones that do have signs that are put on the sides of building that face two streets at the same time. So we attempted to find the street we needed and ended up walking around for 35 minutes looking like fools. We asked several people if they knew how to get to Carburton St. and they looked at us as if we were speaking Chinese. Needless to say, we never found it.

I have several theories:
  1. The Holiday Inn does not exist.
  2. There is more than one Great Portland Street tube station.
  3. Google maps is seriously messed up.
  4. I am losing my mind.
It is probably the last one.

Well, better luck next week.

Love.

No comments: