Some people think that since we (meaning Americans) and the English speak the same language then we must be the same. Ohhhh no no. That is not the case at all. A common phrase I keep hearing is "we are divided by a common language." I love this. Mainly because it gives me an excuse for looking like a complete idiot every day at work. For example, when spelling out words (possibly to confirm the spelling of someone's name) even the pronunciation of the letters can be different. For the letter "z," it is not "zee" but "zed." Yes, zed, z-e-d, rhymes with ted. And the letter "h" is pronounced "hayt-ch." Correct, it does sound like someone is sneezing. At first, I was frustrated by this difference in pronunciation, but I eventually became used to it. The actual different words are more difficult to decipher. The following scenario occured last Friday:
At work I am now known as the "Funny American who can actually make decent tea." There is something to aspire to...
Me: Hello, the is Libby Wolfe from the charity Help the Aged and I am calling to inquire about possible sponsorship for our upcoming running events. Could you please direct me to the appropriate person?I actually wrote down "TimfullstopA@highfive.co.uk." I sat at my desk confused for about two minutes and eventually worked up the courage to ask the woman who sits across from me.
Operator: 'Ello love. You will actually need to submit your query in writing.
Me: Alright. Is there an e-mail address?
Operator: Yes love, do you have a pen and paper?
Me: Yes.
Operator: Ok. It is Tim "fullstop" A at highfive co uk.
Me: (awkward pause) Could you please repeat that?
Operator: Sure love, Tim "fullstop" A at highfive co uk.
Me: (even longer awkward pause) Um, sir, could you spell that for me?
Operator: (in a very confused tone) T-I-M "fullstop" A at H-I-G-H-F-I-V-E co uk. (please keep in mind the letter pronunciations I mentioned earlier)
Me: Um, ok, well, um, thanks.
Operator: Cheers!
Me: Uh yeah, cheers.
And that was my Friday at work. Such a fun experience. After that little incident, they all sat around my desk for 30 minutes making me say words to see if they mean something different. We eventually made it to the names of my family members. They all laughed uncontrollably when I came to my dad's name, Chuck. I guess there isn't a single person in England named Chuck. The only Chuck they have heard of is Chuck Norris.
Me: Um, Sarah, what does "fullstop" mean?
Sarah: What? You mean "fullstop" as in a "fullstop" at the end of a sentence.
Me: I'm not sure. I don't know what a "fullstop" is...
Sarah: It is the dot at the end of a sentence or in e-mail addresses.
Me: Ohhhhhhh. Ok.
Sarah: (laughing hysterically) What do you call it?
Me: A period?
Sarah: (laughing even more) Oh, that means something else.
Me: Oh. Haha? Thanks.
At work I am now known as the "Funny American who can actually make decent tea." There is something to aspire to...
No comments:
Post a Comment