I have some depressing news. Dr. Pepper does not taste the same. It tastes like flat, syrupy, diet Dr. Pepper. Ew. Guess I won't be drinking that for the next four months. Oh, and it rained today, so I looked like I wet rat. Thankfully, so does everyone else. Frizzy hair is totally in here.
That was today's low. On the other hand, I found out that the company interviewing me for my internship has requested that I come in this week instead of next week. Everyone else interviews next week at various companies around London, but three of us were asked to come in this week. I'm not sure if that is a good thing or not, but we will definitely find out soon. I have a meeting with my program coordinators tomorrow at 4:30 and then will have my interview on Friday sometime.
The ultimate high today was finding our new favorite pub. It is called the King's Head and it is literally a minute and a half from our flat. One thing I have noticed whenever we walk into a pub or a store is the stares. The second we step into a building, every single Brit in the room turns and stares directly at us. I'm not sure if it is because we travel in packs of 20, or if it is because we are constantly talking over each other and yelling. Probably a pretty solid combination of the two. One student we meet at Imperial today told us it was because we smelled like Americans. To that I replied, "At least we don't smell like the French!" He laughed and then didn't make fun of us a much.
Well, back to the King's Head. We made friends with the bartender. Before he served us, he made us introduce ourselves. Apparently, Americans are hilarious. I don't really see the humor. The conversation went like this:
I'm not sure if he is laughing with me or at me. Probably the latter.
At least I am imposing some of my vocabulary onto the Brits. It is about time. Already, I say the words "lift", "brilliant", and "top up" frequently.
We don't have class tomorrow until 6, so a bunch of us are going exploring. I can't wait to see how long I can go without being made fun of.
Love.
P.s. If you ever get the chance, try to get a Brit to do an American accent. Greatest thing you will ever hear. Our tour guide yesterday tried to say "Y'all here?" It didn't work out so well.
That was today's low. On the other hand, I found out that the company interviewing me for my internship has requested that I come in this week instead of next week. Everyone else interviews next week at various companies around London, but three of us were asked to come in this week. I'm not sure if that is a good thing or not, but we will definitely find out soon. I have a meeting with my program coordinators tomorrow at 4:30 and then will have my interview on Friday sometime.
The ultimate high today was finding our new favorite pub. It is called the King's Head and it is literally a minute and a half from our flat. One thing I have noticed whenever we walk into a pub or a store is the stares. The second we step into a building, every single Brit in the room turns and stares directly at us. I'm not sure if it is because we travel in packs of 20, or if it is because we are constantly talking over each other and yelling. Probably a pretty solid combination of the two. One student we meet at Imperial today told us it was because we smelled like Americans. To that I replied, "At least we don't smell like the French!" He laughed and then didn't make fun of us a much.
Well, back to the King's Head. We made friends with the bartender. Before he served us, he made us introduce ourselves. Apparently, Americans are hilarious. I don't really see the humor. The conversation went like this:
I sat back down with the girls at our table. Every time Cyrel walked past our table the rest of the night he said "Bummer!" and laughed.
Bartender: Good evening, how are you?
Me: Awesome.
Bartender: Haha. Awesome. Hahahaha.
Me: Ha....yeah?
Bartender: What are your names?
(The other girls introduced themselves)
Me: My name is Libby. What is yours?
Bartender: Je m'appelle Cyrel.
Me: Pardon?
Bartender: Cyrel.
Me: How do you spell that?
Bartender: C-y-r-e-l. It's French.
Me: Ohhh, got it! Nice to meet you!
Bartender: Nice to meet you as well! What would you like?
Me: Well, do you take credit cards?
Bartender: Yes, and we will even give it back to you too.
Me: (awkward chuckle). Yeah? Well, may I please have the fish and chips?
Bartender: Do you see that man walking out the door?
Me: Uh huh
Bartender: He is the chef. Sorry. No food for you.
Me: Oh. Bummer!
Bartender: Bummer?
Me: Yes, bummer!
Bartender: What is "bummer"?
Me: Ummm...bummer....is like....ummmm..."That sucks!"
Bartender: Hmmm... I like that. Bummer! Bummer, bummer bummer!! Ha. I'm going to use that.
Me: Haha. Ok? Thanks!
I'm not sure if he is laughing with me or at me. Probably the latter.
At least I am imposing some of my vocabulary onto the Brits. It is about time. Already, I say the words "lift", "brilliant", and "top up" frequently.
We don't have class tomorrow until 6, so a bunch of us are going exploring. I can't wait to see how long I can go without being made fun of.
Love.
P.s. If you ever get the chance, try to get a Brit to do an American accent. Greatest thing you will ever hear. Our tour guide yesterday tried to say "Y'all here?" It didn't work out so well.
6 comments:
It is the strangest thing to read something that has been posted in the FUTURE. I glanced up and it said "posted on Tuesday," when it is clearly 9:49pm on Monday. Had to think about it for a minute.
Love you, sounds like you're having a great time. And so fun that I know the places you are talking about.
Good luck on your interview this week, can't wait to hear about it.
Love,
Wife.
Hahahaha...If bumm means butt in England then is "bummer" really "butter?"
We had a guy in our dorm (1983)in Reading named Jimmy Carter. It was great to hear the English students call out his name in "Southern."
I love you!
sharona
Thanks for the fix. I shrieked when I saw it. Scared the dogs and T.
Don't speak negatively of my DDP, some of us have more refined taste buds.
I'd outline my day for you, but I don't want to trump yours. :-)
Love you, love you, love you! I am so thrilled you get to have this adventure. Enjoy every moment! XOXO Mom
Ok, so I about peed my pants reading your entry for today. Oh, the world according to my Lou...watch out! Who are your flat mates? I am dying to know. We've also got to get the whole skype thing set up this weekend so we can chat. I miss you so much! We're glad to hear that you made it all safe and sound.
Oh, and if London thinks that frizz is where it's at, then I'm their girl! Book me a ticket and call me poufy!
Love you!
Al
you would ask how a guy spelled his name.
also, sorry to hear about the DP..."bummer." guess you'll have to come back to america?
sounds like a blast, i bet i'm jealous ahah
much love
the otherrrr oneeee
Oh Libbysita! I knew you were ready for London, but I was not sure if London was ready for you. We now know....they were not quite prepared!! :o) I am sure they will all come to love your charm and will appreciate all that you will teach them. I am glad you are keeping us posted. This is a nice little snippet of entertianment in my day and helps fuel me to keep working on my papers. Thanks for the fun. Love you and glad you are having a good time.
Post a Comment