I drank 7 cups of tea today.
There is an office ritual (at least with the events team) where on the hour, every hour, someone takes all the mugs on a little tray to the kitchen. They then prepare each person's tea to their specifications. I drink my tea with a lot of milk and sugar. I have been told that by the end of my fourth months I will be drinking real English tea, not the "weak stuff" I currently enjoy.
After Tea # 4, I started feeling a bit bad that I wasn't contributing and preparing drinks for everyone. So for the tea at 2, I told them all I wanted to learn how to make tea correctly so I could pitch in. Patrik, Fiona and Camilla gladly accompanied me to the kitchen. I have two theories about their eagerness to join. Theory 1: They couldn't pass up the chance to watch an American attempt to make tea. Theory 2: They wanted to make sure I didn't make "rubbish" tea that they would then have to drink politely.
I think it was a combination of the two. They did laugh with me (yes, I was laughing at myself) and they did have to correct me. Let me explain how to make tea correctly.
Step 1: Fill the pitcher with water and set it on the special heater it comes with that boils it in about one minute. It is important that you boil it this way and do not cheat by simply using the hot water out of the water cooler.
Step 2: Select the correct tea bags for each individual and place them in the empty mugs. There is white tea, green tea, red tea, and black tea (this is just basic tea). It is IMPERATIVE that you put the right bags in the right mugs.
Step 3: Pour the boiled water into the mugs to the appropriate level. Now, depending on the mug (as all are different sizes) you put in different amounts. Don't forget to leave room for the milk.
Note: Patrik explained to me that there is some debate over whether you put milk or water in first. But he so willingly informed me that the CORRECT way to make tea is to put the WATER in first.
Step 4: Let the tea bags sit. Different people prefer different strenghts of tea, so you must know how long to keep the bags in for the different mugs. Mine stay in for approximately 8 seconds. Everyone else's stay in for about 30. Use the plastic spoon to swirl it around.
Step 5: Use the spoon to take the tea bag out. Let it drain for a moment and then throw it away.
Step 6: Pour in the milk. Again, each person likes a specific amount of milk in their tea. You can determine the strenght of the tea by the color once you add milk. I prefer very very very light tea. Patrik likes dark tea. Fiona and Camilla are in the middle.
Step 7: Add sugar for the American. Fiona had to search for a packet of sugar so I could pour it in my tea. No one else uses sugar.
Step 8: The English will then start drinking their tea immediately. I have to wait five minutes. Apparently, they already burnt off all their taste buds and killed their nerves in their mouths. I have grown somewhat attached to mine. I think I'll wait and let it cool.
Step 9: Repeat one hour later.
So far, I'm pretty sure I have learned more about making tea than event planning. But hey...when in London...
Love.
There is an office ritual (at least with the events team) where on the hour, every hour, someone takes all the mugs on a little tray to the kitchen. They then prepare each person's tea to their specifications. I drink my tea with a lot of milk and sugar. I have been told that by the end of my fourth months I will be drinking real English tea, not the "weak stuff" I currently enjoy.
After Tea # 4, I started feeling a bit bad that I wasn't contributing and preparing drinks for everyone. So for the tea at 2, I told them all I wanted to learn how to make tea correctly so I could pitch in. Patrik, Fiona and Camilla gladly accompanied me to the kitchen. I have two theories about their eagerness to join. Theory 1: They couldn't pass up the chance to watch an American attempt to make tea. Theory 2: They wanted to make sure I didn't make "rubbish" tea that they would then have to drink politely.
I think it was a combination of the two. They did laugh with me (yes, I was laughing at myself) and they did have to correct me. Let me explain how to make tea correctly.
Step 1: Fill the pitcher with water and set it on the special heater it comes with that boils it in about one minute. It is important that you boil it this way and do not cheat by simply using the hot water out of the water cooler.
Step 2: Select the correct tea bags for each individual and place them in the empty mugs. There is white tea, green tea, red tea, and black tea (this is just basic tea). It is IMPERATIVE that you put the right bags in the right mugs.
Step 3: Pour the boiled water into the mugs to the appropriate level. Now, depending on the mug (as all are different sizes) you put in different amounts. Don't forget to leave room for the milk.
Note: Patrik explained to me that there is some debate over whether you put milk or water in first. But he so willingly informed me that the CORRECT way to make tea is to put the WATER in first.
Step 4: Let the tea bags sit. Different people prefer different strenghts of tea, so you must know how long to keep the bags in for the different mugs. Mine stay in for approximately 8 seconds. Everyone else's stay in for about 30. Use the plastic spoon to swirl it around.
Step 5: Use the spoon to take the tea bag out. Let it drain for a moment and then throw it away.
Step 6: Pour in the milk. Again, each person likes a specific amount of milk in their tea. You can determine the strenght of the tea by the color once you add milk. I prefer very very very light tea. Patrik likes dark tea. Fiona and Camilla are in the middle.
Step 7: Add sugar for the American. Fiona had to search for a packet of sugar so I could pour it in my tea. No one else uses sugar.
Step 8: The English will then start drinking their tea immediately. I have to wait five minutes. Apparently, they already burnt off all their taste buds and killed their nerves in their mouths. I have grown somewhat attached to mine. I think I'll wait and let it cool.
Step 9: Repeat one hour later.
So far, I'm pretty sure I have learned more about making tea than event planning. But hey...when in London...
Love.
1 comment:
dude.
i miss you.
Post a Comment