Thursday, January 22, 2009

A tour guide named Tony....and the rest of my week.

Sorry it has been a while.

I started work this week and have been trying to adjust to my new schedule.

We also went to Stonehenge and Bath on Wednesday. Somehow we missed the memo that it was a three hour drive there and then 3 hours back. We also had possibly the craziest tour guide ever. He literally talked for the entire 6 hours we spent in transit. I think I know him better than some of my relatives. He thinks everything British is so much better than anything American and made sure we knew what he thought. Here is a little excerpt:

Tour Guide: We here in the UK value our safety and have very strict regulations. When you all travel there are some things you need to know. You are not allowed to take liquids on board. You are only allowed to take 3 oz in a zip-lock bag.

Kid in the back: Dude, we had 9-11. We started all of that

Tour Guide: Yes, well I think we are much more strict and are much for difficult to get past. You see...we have excellent security. It is much different.

Image 3 hours of that. The other three hours (on the way home, while we are all sleeping) was something like this:
Tour Guide: As you will learn we love football, or as you say socccccccer. Americans like to believe they are as good as us. However, only about 3 Americans have ever been good enough to play in the UK.

The entire bus groans

Tour Guide: Oh, it looks as though you are awake. I thought you were all sleeping...

Kid in the back: We WERE and then you started talking.....

Tour Guide: Oh, well then, I can tell you all more about football. (He then proceeds to discuss football for 46 minutes.)
As you could probably tell, the kid in the back is super sassy. We should be friends.

But besides the field trip, my week has consisted of work. I'm starting to finally get into a routine here, which is really nice.

Today was probably one of the best days so far. It isn't that I did much or anything. I just worked and came home. But you know those moments when you look around and you realize you are really content. Not ecstatic, but not depressed. Just really happy and content with your life.

Well, I had a moment like that today.

I was walking to the King's Cross tube station from work. I had my warm trench coat on with my warm scarf. It was a very nice evening out. Not too cold and not raining. I remembered to use my purse that zipped. I refuse to get robbed. Also, the shuffle mode on my iPod was making me so happy. So I'm rocking out to my iPod, walking down the street and I just looked around me and realized that I was actually LIVING in London. I of course have realized before that I was IN London, obviously, but never before have I actual felt like I lived here. I finally understand the tube, I don't need to look at the map, I just know what train I need. I don't need to look down at the street to see what way I look before crossing (right first, then left). I don't need to stare at the coins to try and figure out which ones I need to use, I know the big octagons are 50p and the little ones are 20p. It all is finally making sense.

Such a good feeling.

Love.

P.s. I'm going to start carrying around travel sized deodorants and body spray to give to people on the tube. Seriously, they need some guidance.



2 comments:

mcljames said...

Loved your update Lib. So happy that you are happy and feel like you belong in London. Can't wait to have you show us around! Can we avoid the obnoxious tour guide? By late Feb. you should be well versed enough that you can be our tour guide! Missing you...MOM

Anonymous said...

Libby!
Your post totally cracked me up - I can just picutre the whole thing. BTW, I hear you about the stench that accompanies public transportation - come hang out with me in The Bay, and we can preach the good word of personal hygiene together!

Miss you, sister! BTW, I think we share the same wardrobe...I swear everytime I see you in a picture, I have the very outfit you are wearing. At this point, I am not even surprised. ;-)

LOVE YOU x 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

Al