What did I learn today? I learned to pay attention...or else.
Lesson #1: Cars come from the opposite direction. This may not seem like a difficult concept, but don't be fooled. Old habits die hard and pedestrians do not have the right-of-way. A bus clipped one of my flatmates yesterday. She is fine, and kind of a funny story, but, nonetheless, its dangerous. Thankfully, the words "Look left" or "Look right" are painted on the streets next to the pavement. I always have to cheat and look at the directions. Glad I know my right from my left.
Lesson #2: Don't go near the foreign embassies if you value your life. The protests are never ending. Currently, there are huge mobs of Palestinians protesting outside the Israeli embassy and Trafalgar Square. As we were walking home yesterday a man of middle eastern descent came from the direction of the protests and brushed past me. (Side note: I walk really fast, so this guy was flying). I looked up at him as he nearly knocked me over and he had blood running down his face. Right when he passed us another man met him from a side alley and handed him a scarf to wipe off his face. Neither of the men ever stopped walking, especially as four police vans came barreling down the road towards us. We later heard that there were several casualties at the protests that afternoon and evening. Intense.
Lesson #3: Give yourself at least 5 hours for the grocery store. I headed down the street to Sainbury's for a quick stop and ended up staring at the brands of food for over 45 minutes. I needed some breakfast food and juice, as well as a dinner to heat up. I went straight to the frozen food aisle and found about two things I would actually eat. There were countless packages of beef stroganoff, liver and vegetables, and Moroccan chicken. Also, I haven't quite figured out what is in a mince meat pie, (obviously some sort of meat) but it doesn't sound appetizing. I also learned that "pulp free" orange juice is called "free of bits." After staring at the juice for ten minutes, I went to look for English muffins. Certainly they would have English muffins in England. All I found were crumpets, which looks similar to English muffins, so I guess we will see tomorrow morning. Even though it took forever to find food, I did only pay 6 pounds for orange juice, apple juice, macaroni and cheese with spinach, butter, crumpets, and clementines. What a steal!
As I have been learning a lot, I also made the greatest discovery of my life.
I FOUND DR. PEPPER!
They have it in the union at Imperial College. I about cried. Literally. However, it is 8 pounds. Ha. Get serious!
I bought a phone today too. My number is 0114407552370884. Yes, that is accurate. You are more than welcome to call me, as incoming calls are free for me!
My address is 40 Hogarth Road, Flat 5, Kensington, London, SW5, UK. If you feel compelled to send me a package, please include mild salsa, Tostitos scoop chips, and Dr. Pepper. Please and thank you.
Love.
Lesson #1: Cars come from the opposite direction. This may not seem like a difficult concept, but don't be fooled. Old habits die hard and pedestrians do not have the right-of-way. A bus clipped one of my flatmates yesterday. She is fine, and kind of a funny story, but, nonetheless, its dangerous. Thankfully, the words "Look left" or "Look right" are painted on the streets next to the pavement. I always have to cheat and look at the directions. Glad I know my right from my left.
Lesson #2: Don't go near the foreign embassies if you value your life. The protests are never ending. Currently, there are huge mobs of Palestinians protesting outside the Israeli embassy and Trafalgar Square. As we were walking home yesterday a man of middle eastern descent came from the direction of the protests and brushed past me. (Side note: I walk really fast, so this guy was flying). I looked up at him as he nearly knocked me over and he had blood running down his face. Right when he passed us another man met him from a side alley and handed him a scarf to wipe off his face. Neither of the men ever stopped walking, especially as four police vans came barreling down the road towards us. We later heard that there were several casualties at the protests that afternoon and evening. Intense.
Lesson #3: Give yourself at least 5 hours for the grocery store. I headed down the street to Sainbury's for a quick stop and ended up staring at the brands of food for over 45 minutes. I needed some breakfast food and juice, as well as a dinner to heat up. I went straight to the frozen food aisle and found about two things I would actually eat. There were countless packages of beef stroganoff, liver and vegetables, and Moroccan chicken. Also, I haven't quite figured out what is in a mince meat pie, (obviously some sort of meat) but it doesn't sound appetizing. I also learned that "pulp free" orange juice is called "free of bits." After staring at the juice for ten minutes, I went to look for English muffins. Certainly they would have English muffins in England. All I found were crumpets, which looks similar to English muffins, so I guess we will see tomorrow morning. Even though it took forever to find food, I did only pay 6 pounds for orange juice, apple juice, macaroni and cheese with spinach, butter, crumpets, and clementines. What a steal!
As I have been learning a lot, I also made the greatest discovery of my life.
I FOUND DR. PEPPER!
They have it in the union at Imperial College. I about cried. Literally. However, it is 8 pounds. Ha. Get serious!
I bought a phone today too. My number is 0114407552370884. Yes, that is accurate. You are more than welcome to call me, as incoming calls are free for me!
My address is 40 Hogarth Road, Flat 5, Kensington, London, SW5, UK. If you feel compelled to send me a package, please include mild salsa, Tostitos scoop chips, and Dr. Pepper. Please and thank you.
Love.
3 comments:
YAY your life sounds so wonderful and englishy! i can't believe you found yourself some DP. so proud, and laughing... because really? you would. i love you. glad you're alive, glad you're doing well! i have a funny story for you - already. al;kdj okay love you!
xox
You are such a little bean! Keep writing because this is more than a blog it's a screenplay!!!! Boo and I were in stitches last night reading your airport adventures.
Glenna leaves tomorrow for Israel...can you imagine if traveling in a foreign land throws you off a bit???? Oh to be a fly on the wall???? We love you more than you could possibly know....have a smashing day tomorrow!
LOVE,
Aunt Tater
So great to talk with you today Libs! Wish I could have been in that grocery store with you! It sounds like you're figuring it all out. No surprises there. Highlights of today...we finally took down the Christmas decorations :-), cleaned out all the drawers and cabinets in our bathroom and gave the dogs baths. Bet you're jealous. I know how much you would have enjoyed being a part of it all. Oh, and btw, Nate is re-arranging his room. It had been awhile.
We miss you, love you and can't wait to experience London through your eyes! XOXOXO Mom
Post a Comment