This is an official apology for not posting in about a month. I promise I will try to be better. I know any excuse is unacceptable for my lack of writing BUT, I do have a reason. You see, I haven't had internet in my flat for about three weeks now. And they don't expect it to be working for another week or two.
.
You may remember that we have been having issues all semester with the internet. Well, they kept blaming us saying that we were Skyping too much and downloading shows (yes, I did find a way to watch ABC.com from out of the country). However, it turns out that there was a virus already on the server and it has been slowly crashing for the past few months. HA. NOT our fault.
.
So, they are currently replacing the entire system. Until then, I can only use the internet when I go to McDonalds, Coffee Republic, or at work. McDonalds doesn't have any plugs so I can only go for about an hour at a time. Coffee Republic requires us to buy things every hour we are there or else they yell and kick us out. Good thing they have some great Peach Iced Tea....the best I've ever had. So here I am studying in London, but I can't really study or write, because I don't have regular access to the internet. .
So here is a little update on my life the past month. I'll make it short and sweet.
.
The weeks following our trip to Barcelona were great. I got into a routine and had the chance to really appreciate London. Not just the touristy part, but the people and the culture. I went with Neili to Camden Market and bought myself a leather jacket. This is not something I would normally wear, or would buy from a punk-rock outdoor market, but I thought, why not? I also received a package from the Overman family (I babysit their daughter Langley, my favorite kid in the entire world!). They sent me Tostito chips, and salsa, and....drum roll please...DR. PEPPER. The real stuff, not the British imitation. That package pretty much made that week for me. So thanks!!
.
Mom and Nate came to visit the last week of February and stayed until last Sunday. It was incredible to have them here. Not that I have been terribly homesick, but I did miss them a lot. I played tour guide for the first four days and showed them around London. We explored the tube, famous landmarks, and phone booths. We also ate DaMario's pizza three times. Yes, it is that good.
.
We then went to Paris for three days and had a wonderful time. The first day we walked from Notre Dame to the Eiffel Tower. I honestly think it was a three mile walk. But totally worth it because we got Mom to go up in the tower and we had the chance to see it lit up at night. Beautiful. The next day we decided to travel to Versailles. The conceirge at the hotel told us a specific train to take and circled it on the map for us. After staring at the monitor with confused looks for a good 15 minutes we finally hopped on the train and an hour and half later we arrived in Versailles. If you ever have the chance you should see it, just don't get crepes from the sketchy vendor outside the gates. He uses frozen crepes and then heats them up and puts minimal nutella. Not ok. After out little adventure we tried to find the train back. It was very busy and confusing so we boarded the first train that said Paris...and 15 minutes later we arrived in Paris.
.
If someone could please explain to me how it took us and hour and a half to get there and 15 minutes to get back, that would be great.
.
One of the best things about Paris: crepes on every corner. We had at least two a day. YUM.
From Paris we took the night train (from hell) to Venice. Never ever take a night train. Ever. Unless you are guarenteed to have your own room with heating. Mom had to bribe the worker 50 euros to give us our own room away from the man that smelled like an ashtray soaked in Jack and Johnny. To give you a little perspective on the night, even Nate couldn't sleep the entire night. I know, that's saying something.
.
We arrived in Venice alive, and lice-free thanks to Mom not allowing us to use the blankets on the train.
.
I can't even begin to describe to you how gorgeous Venice is in the sunshine. But we first arrived when it was pouring. We jumped on the boat to take us to our hotel and both Nate and I managed not to get sick. Quite a feat for two of the most motion-sickness prone people in the world.
.
Our hotel couldn't have been more opposite than the night train. Definitely lifted our spirits. While in Venice we saw the Murano glass factory and actually got to see a Master create a bowl. We also had some of the best food ever! And I'm not just saying that. Our last meal in Venice consisted of tuna quiche, fresh crab, clams in garclic and butter, fresh salmon, monk fish, and crab pate. We also tried octopus. Interesting. We then had black spaghetti with scallops. My dessert was some sort of passion fruit deliciousness. I think I was literally in a food coma for the next two hours.
.
The trip was fantastic and I have been resting this entire week. My friend Jess comes on Sunday for a week! I can't wait! I will probably get to Heathrow three hours early because I will be so excited - possbily with a big sign in tow, we will see.
.
Ok. I can officially leave work now. I plan to go home and make a big box of Kraft Mac and Cheese. Mom brought me five boxes and I have five weeks left. I'm rationing.
.
Love!
No comments:
Post a Comment