Today is my last day at work. Isn’t it interesting to look back on an experience as it comes to an end?
Over these past few months, I have learned a great deal (and not just how to make different kinds of tea). It is amazing to recall the person I was when I started and the person I am now and the changes that occurred because of this internship.
I have been blessed to experience a full submersion into the British culture. I’ve been forced to try new things and jump head first into a world I knew nothing about. I have faced some serious challenges. First of all, understanding people on the phone. I can’t understand Cockney - never have, and never will. I have no idea what is being said even if it is spelled out. That also goes for British terms. It doesn’t matter that you say the word “full stop” eight times and literally spell it out for me. I still don’t know what it means. I have had to sheepishly ask my colleagues what “ta” means and how to correctly use the word “cheeky.”
There have also been some milestones. The most shocking being my first unintentional “Cheers!” That was scary and has now become a habit that I will need to quit as soon as I land in Chi-town. Also, I have successfully made tea for every individual in my office - more importantly, they actually drank it.
But in all seriousness, it has been an internship filled with great memories (and I’m not just saying this in case someone stumbles onto my blog). It is a weird bittersweet feeling I have now.
I guess I will have to get used to it. I would bet its going to be a permanent feeling these next five days.
Over these past few months, I have learned a great deal (and not just how to make different kinds of tea). It is amazing to recall the person I was when I started and the person I am now and the changes that occurred because of this internship.
I have been blessed to experience a full submersion into the British culture. I’ve been forced to try new things and jump head first into a world I knew nothing about. I have faced some serious challenges. First of all, understanding people on the phone. I can’t understand Cockney - never have, and never will. I have no idea what is being said even if it is spelled out. That also goes for British terms. It doesn’t matter that you say the word “full stop” eight times and literally spell it out for me. I still don’t know what it means. I have had to sheepishly ask my colleagues what “ta” means and how to correctly use the word “cheeky.”
There have also been some milestones. The most shocking being my first unintentional “Cheers!” That was scary and has now become a habit that I will need to quit as soon as I land in Chi-town. Also, I have successfully made tea for every individual in my office - more importantly, they actually drank it.
But in all seriousness, it has been an internship filled with great memories (and I’m not just saying this in case someone stumbles onto my blog). It is a weird bittersweet feeling I have now.
I guess I will have to get used to it. I would bet its going to be a permanent feeling these next five days.
No comments:
Post a Comment