Monday, April 20, 2009

Would you like fries with that?

Mondays are rough. Everyone knows that. For some reason, they have been especially rough this semester. I’m not sure if it is the 30 minute commute on the crowded tube that somehow always smells like curry, or that rare sunny London days seem to fall on Mondays and all I can do is longingly stare out the window at work. Either way, Mondays aren’t my favourite. Sunday nights in my flat I feel like I’m seven again, about to throw a tantrum because I don’t want to go to “school” the next day.

To combat this dreadful feeling, I’ve implemented a Monday tradition. It is the bright spot in my day, the light at the end of the tunnel (well, I guess more so the middle of the tunnel). It is the best part of day.

Monday’s I get lunch at McDonalds.

(Dear Healthy People: Please take a moment to get over yourselves)

I’m not saying I always get a Supersized Big Mac with extra sauce, fries, and a McFlurry. Lately, I’ve been enjoying the Chicken Selects, or sometimes I will get a salad. But no matter what I choose on the menu, I love my McDonalds.

I’ve always loved McDonalds. When I was a little girl my life goal was to be a burger-flipper at Mickey D’s. (Seriously, ask CJ). While other kids were dreaming of being princesses, cowboys and astronauts, I wanted to wear the red and yellow visor and proudly wield a spatula.

So, on my last Monday in London, I will happily walk to my McDonalds on the corner of Pentonville Road and York. I will order the 5-piece Chicken Selects with imitation BBQ sauce and a Coke (Yes, it has momentarily replaced DP). I will tell the lady that somehow always manages to take my order not to judge me. I will sit in the corner booth, read the book I just started, and enjoy 4.5 pieces of “chicken”.

And for that hour, Monday won’t be so bad.

Doo doo DOO doo dooooo…I’m lovin’ it.

P.s. It is Monopoly time at McD’s in London. Yes, I have a game board.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'll have you know - I went to McDs yesterday before BSF for a cheesburger and small fries- your post had me thinking of it all day! Oh and the fries were fresh and salty!! Yum!!