Sunday, April 19, 2009

Cigarette smoke, coffee, perfume

They say that smell is the strongest trigger of memories.

I went to Coffee Republic today to sit outside and read. It is sunny and warm out and I thought it might be a nice to just sit and read while enjoying the weather and my last Sunday in London. When I went inside Coffee Republic (which is really in the lobby of a hotel down the street) the sun was shining brightly on the chairs outside. But by the time the worker actually acknowledged me, told me they in fact did not have ice for a peach iced tea, and I decided just to get a Coke, the sun had hid behind some ominous clouds and I was forced to enjoy my book inside.

I settled down in one of the deep leather chairs and inhaled a long breathe. The scent of faint cigarette smoke, coffee, perfume, and leather hit me hard...

Minnie.

I was suddenly in her Four Colonies house nestled in one of her green leather chairs making sure to keep my feet away from the giant leopard skin rug on the floor - it still had the leopard's head attached. I was sure it would bite me. I would nuzzle my head into the crease of the chair. I loved the smell. Even after she quit smoking the scent still lingered, mixing with her various unique perfumes and her constant cup of coffee.

Some people had grandparents that smelled like peppermint. I don't think there was even one instance when Minnie smelled like peppermint. If anything, you could smell a little lavender.

It's been two years (as of a couple days ago) and I don't think I will ever forget that smell. It stops me in my tracks. And it has happened often while I've been in London (I think Jo Malone perfume is popular here). No matter the reason, I am constantly reminded of her. She would love London and its quirky nature. I can see her finding hidden treasures at Camden Market and holding weekly high tea at the Orangery. I want to call her when I see a beautiful gigantic turquoise ring at a store on Portobello Road. She would love the crazy fashion sense of Londoners.

It's these memories and thoughts that come right after I get a whiff of that smell. It's these memories and thoughts that hit me today. They are unpredictably strong and completely unstoppable, but not entirely unwelcome. While the memories may, at times, make me sad, for the most part they fill me with a sense of comfort and reassurance. I will never pass up a moment to reminisce about Magoo - no matter the time, no matter the memory.

It's these reasons why I love the smell of smoke, coffee, and perfume settling into a leather chair.

I will curl up in that anytime.

No comments: