Thursday, April 23, 2009

Did I miss the memo?

First, a little background:

During the Miss USA pageant, judge Perez Hilton, an openly gay columnist, asked Miss California if same-sex marriage should be legalized. Miss California replied saying she believes marriage is between a man and a woman. She finished second in the competition. Media sources immediately picked up the story and debates ensued as to whether or not she lost the competition because of her response.

If you want more on the story, Google it. You will have enough reading material to last a few days.

It seems as though Miss California's response is making headlines even across the pond. And honestly, I am appalled by the way Americans are reacting. What angers me isn't what has or hasn't been said concerning the issue of same-sex marriage. No, it is the hypocritical masses that are responding with such extreme fervor.

This isn't an issue of whether or not I support gay marriage. This is an issue of respect and free speech.

Equality is an interesting word. Protests in favor of gay marriage, and those against, are constantly making the evening news and opinion sections of the paper. The word equality is widely used by supports of gay marriage. Those in favor want equality for all sexes when it comes to marriage. They want respect. They want to be heard.

But shouldn't this respect and desire to be heard go both ways? I grew up with the understanding that you give respect to get respect. Bullying gets you no where. Slander will only hurt your cause. If you want to be respected for who you are and what you stand for, you should, in turn, give respect to others, regardless of their opinion. This goes for those on both sides of the issue. A good friend recently said that gay people endure the worst discrimination, and I completely agree. I'm sure that when you are being constantly discriminated against and ridiculed, it must be difficult to give respect to others. I can't begin to understand the daily lives of those bearing this. But that doesn't change the fact that someone demanding respect and equality should give respect and equality to others, even those in opposition.

As a journalist, I am a huge proponent of the First Amendment, most importantly the freedom of speech and press. Each and every citizen in the USA has the right to speak their mind. They are entitled to their own opinion. At least this is how it was four months ago when I left. Did something change and they forgot to send out an email?

I think everyone in America needs to take a hard look at themselves. Are we really so hypocritical and blinded that we feel it is okay to tear down a girl because she has an opinion on a controversial topic? At least she took a stand. At least she is willing to back her opinion and her beliefs, whatever they may be. Personally, I don't care what you believe, as long as you stand behind it. I can now see why the majority of our politicians never take an actual stance on any issue - if you do you will be publicly ostracized.

As I start packing to come home, I can't help but think about my beloved country. I am a proud American and have been subject to ridicule and countless debates while overseas. I know my heart will skip a beat the second I step on American soil and see the flag. I've never been more excited for the 4th of July. But as I prepare to return, I wonder if she will be the same country I left four months ago - a country that was built on the First Amendment and the right for an individual to express her opinion.